Sunday 1 March 2015

Treasure Hunting

This morning I awoke and saw the day was dry, so I stumbled out of bed, dressed warmly and was soon ready to set out for the nearest car boot sale. David teased me about this and I grumblingly complained about getting up early and heading out into the cold. "Go on, you love it"  he replied. As I drove to the sale I started to ponder and this post is the result.
I have realised the truth in what he said. Some of my greatest moments of enjoyment and pleasure are when I am treasure hunting. I love the search, the intense contemplation and the feeling that I have to have all my wits about me and my senses alert, to spot that wonderful, hidden gem. It is in essence a solitary pursuit, and in fact I get quite grumpy if I'm interrupted and am expected to talk to somebody whilst on the prowl. I'm only sociable after the hunt when I'm proud and ready to show off my finds!


Flea markets, charity shops and car-boot sales call to me and I will spend hours rootling and delving.




I also love to beach-comb and field-comb, so my home is filled with the little piles of delicate shells, unusual pebbles and sea glass I have garnered.






Another unfailing joy is the chance to wander around a garden, snipping a bud here, a blossom there, a scented leaf or sprig and make myself a perfect little posy to place by my bed or in the little book-room. I then have many hours of pleasure looking at the individual flowers and sniffing their scents.









I don't only search for physical treasures, I try to celebrate with friends and family whenever I can so to create a treasure trove of happy memories which refresh and delight. Last Solstice we held a small party for my local friends. I was not due to spend Christmas with my children and I was trying to be brave but missing Emily, as she now lives away from home. There was a flurry of activity and arrivals and suddenly there was Emmie, with some of her best and dearest friends from her childhood, all here to surprise me. I love this picture of her greeting my friend Terri (who was in on the secret). It's the joy on both her face and her friend Clare that makes my heart lift.



I feel lucky in that I live in an age when I can have a camera always with me. Recently we were having a family pub lunch and I snapped this shot of Sam and his beloved camera. When I look at it, I am reminded of the great surge of love and pride I felt as I watched him: his quiet and dexterous movements and his happy absorption in his art.



Wherever I am, I like to look for treasure. Whether it is in the smile of one of my guests at the day centre who arrived feeling sad from a week spent alone


but left us happy and refreshed by our friendship and fun, or when I spot some tiny quirky thing of beauty, hidden from many people's passing gaze



If you stay hopeful and keep looking, you can usually find a cloth of gold.


23 comments:

  1. Hello Jane,

    This was a treasure chest of a post!

    So many pretty things which you have collected and cherished from your various adventures. It must rekindle so many happy times and interesting ideas when you revisit them, as we imagine you do often. You clearly have an eye for the beautiful, hidden out of sight of us who look less carefully. Indeed, there is such beauty all around us each and every day if only we would stop and stare a little longer.

    But, how wonderful to take such pleasure and joy in the friendship and love of family and friends. That truly is the treasure of life and you clearly cherish it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, dear Jane and Lance, isn't it wonderful how a chance comment can make you think about your life and realise how good it is and how lucky you are? Jane xx

      Delete
  2. Oh how I needed to read this post and read it again. I especially loved the line about the people leaving the day centre, refreshed. Joy really is where we find it - but it's knowing that we don't have look far away. It's right there, in our family and our everyday life and pursuits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It did me good to write this post as it is all too easy to concentrate on worries and troubles. I'm so glad you liked it. Jane xx

      Delete
  3. Hello Jane

    I love the concentration of Sam with his camera, he looks like he finds joy in life too, just like you.
    It is indeed unique to attend book fares, boot sales as one can find special one of a kind objects d'art.
    Continued joy as you go forth on your next adventure.
    Helen xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Helen, as an artist you and Sam are kindred spirits, I do love watching him work. Onwards and upwards to the next great adventure! Jane xx

      Delete
  4. No wonder I love to blog with you............a kindred spirit! But I'm getting too lazy (or creaky) to get up early to the sales. I figure if I'm supposed to have it, it will be there when I get there. Lovely post. Blessings, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Diane, I have your philosophy too, I don't get up at the crack of dawn, just a bit early and I still get lucky and find treasures! It is such a pleasure to be back blogging and to find my friends here have not forgotten me. Kindred spirits indeed. Jane xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. A lovely post Jane, I feel the same about looking for treasures and going into my garden. I spent a couple of rare hours in the garden last Friday and it was bliss! :) Liz x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Liz, I spent so long trying to upload photos for this piece I didn't garden after all but hope for a sunny Sunday Jane xx

      Delete
  7. Hi Jane,
    It was lovely to see you at the flea and to read this absorbing post too. Adore the rootling for treasures too and can share in your passion for discovering the gems...usually of a non precious variety, but with a story to tell :) LOVE the second photo (did I miss something?) Looks like a wonderful array of perfect bits and bobs.
    Sorry, not doing Devises this time, but wish you lots of luck for a successful day.
    Niki x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Niki, The second photo was from a brocante in Paris, so no you didn't miss an exciting stall at Shepton! Jane xx

      Delete
  8. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a lovely post full of life, love and magic. I am just like you and prefer to treasure hunt on my own, or with a like-minded soul who can be quiet as a mouse and concentrate on this serious business, ha ha! We are lucky today to be able to have a camera to capture precious moments. I am sad that for so much of my life I only have my dimming memory. x

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm sure we would enjoy treasure hunting together, silently stalking and then sharing our finds over a mug of tea! Jane xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a lovely post, so full of reasons to be happy. I am another who likes to shop or mooch or hunt by myself, just quietly rummaging. Other people (and I am a sociable person normally!) distract me so that I can't look properly!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You understand perfectly Elizabeth, I'm in a world of my own, oblivious to everyone! Jane xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Jane,

    So happy to see a new post from you as I was scrolling down my reader's list, and what a treasure it turned out to be!:)) There are, thankfully, so many genuine gems in our own immediate surroundings, that we need not travel far to find new ones: a boy's passion for photography captured by one who shares it, an unexpected visit from a group of friends, simply being there for others, or a pretty posy picked from one's garden, and set on a night table, to awaken the senses, with each new day.

    Wishing you a pleasant week ahead.

    xx
    Poppy

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello Poppy, I'm so glad you liked my post, it came from the heart when I was feeling happy and grateful with my life. Have a happy week, Jane xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. great to se you reflect on your treasures. from the flea market to your family. I love a good rummage through a charity shop. Bought a 70s Scandinavian red glass vase in half-term for 99p.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is something special about finding a treasure that really lifts the spirits isn't there Katherine? May you long enjoy your vase. Jane xx

      Delete
  16. I'm with you on your searches. I can't walk past a charity shop without taking a peak inside. Happy hunting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Stella, I'm just off to go on my weekly charity shop rummage! Jane xx

      Delete